Thursday, April 10, 2008

Forgive my absense

I feel like I am very busy, even when I am not really doing anything. I am up to my eyeballs in...uh...clay.

The projects that I have been working on for a while are probably too dry and not going to work at this point. The Triffid isn't what I'd hoped for, and the Martian Crickets are just bodies with no heads or arms and legs. The newer stuff is just sitting there while I wait for it to get dry enough to work with. My relief sculptures are going to warp a bit, and I think that it is too late to do anything about it. For my sculpture in the round, I want a sleestak, while the professor wants a dragon. I haven't started either one yet.

My first vase is finally fired. It has a tiny crack in it, but I'm still pretty happy with it. The other vase is still waiting to be fired, since there aren't enough other pieces to fire the kiln at that temperature.

I had to pick two things to enter in the student show, and since I haven't finished anything except one vase this semester I had to pick stuff from last semester. Professor didn't want it to be anything I'd already shown, so it's going to be my glass dragon and the sea life paper castings. I'm not too crazy about the paper castings. At the time it seemed like a good idea, but after they were done I thought why did I do that? I'm sure every tourist place near a beach sells something just like it. For the amount of time I put into them I could have made more dragons instead.

From last year's show my friend K won a $25 gift certificate from Trinity Ceramics. He gave it to me so that I could buy a screen. I have been so busy that I haven't used it yet.

It's very sad, but things are not going well, and this is probably going to be my last class. I can't picture much changing over the summer, so I probably won't be going back to school in the fall. Maybe not going back in the fall wouldn't bother me so much, if I thought I would be going back in the spring, but I doubt that I'll have money for that sort of thing then either.

Anyway, I don't think that I'll be posting much for a while. My sleep is disrupted so that I don't often wake up early enough to blog in the mornings, and I can't see wasting much time with it in the afternoons and evenings when I might better use the time on artwork and gardening and such.

And of course now that I've said that I'll wake up really early tomorrow morning and have to think of something to write about.

4 comments:

Mark J Daniels said...

I've got to ask: is a sleestak those creatures out of The Land of the Lost tv series??

laughing said...

Yes. A sleestak is a seven foot tall green creature from the Land of the Lost.

dmarks said...

I just don't see his hangup on sleestak vs dragon. If he just considered a sleestak to be a short-snouted dragon, that might take care of it. After all, both are fantastical reptilian creatures.

(I'm a little disappointed right now that the Blogger automatic spell check knows the word "Dragon" but not "Sleestak")

You are probably using a lot of hand lotion now due to the clay and hand washing...

laughing said...

The sleestak is pretty simple compared to the dragon, and I already have the mold for the front half of the sleestak. I suppose he thinks that using the sleestak mold for a class project is cheating. There are ridges and such on the back of the sleestak head, so maybe it isn't quite as simple as he thinks it is, but it still isn't as complicated as the dragon.