Saturday, September 23, 2006

Today's planned post has been lost

Well, most of it anyway. I had been saving this particular thing, and now I can't seem to find it. Rather than try to rewrite the whole thing right now, I'll take it as a sign that it wasn't meant to be posted today, and I'll just wait.

And the only other one that I had prepared...well, it just seems a bit soon for that.

Now for the nonsense that seems to fill everyone else's blogs. I didn't get much done today...blah, blah, blah...

Well, the one thing I did get done wasn't as good as I thought. I bought some fabric to make this curtain, but now I see that it just won't do at all. I suppose it will be okay, but it doesn't match up with the other stuff as well as I thought. Now that I've got it in the room, it just looks too bright.
Which brings me back to my usual preference for everything being black. I like black in and of itself. I just like the way it looks. But right now I'm thinking that black is just easier to deal with in general. I mean, if you have something that has say black and orange or maybe peach in it, and you go out looking for stuff to match it you have an easier time with the black than with the orange or peach. The orange or peach stuff looks right, but then it turns out to be a little bit too much on the reddish side or a little too much on the yellowish side, or it's a bit to light or a bit too dark. Black, on the other hand, is pretty much just black. Black is black until it fades enough that it's gray, and then the gray stuff still goes well with the black stuff, so it might still work. And any other solid color goes good with black. So if you have a bunch of black stuff and then you throw in something red, it looks good. And then if you get tired of the red and want something totally different you can get rid of the red and replace it with blue, and the black will still look good with the blue. And probably you don't even have to get rid of the red, cause the black will look good with the red and the blue and possibly a few other colors at the same time.

For a while I had an almost exclusively black wardrobe. In some ways it made life simpler. Most of the laundry could all be done together. Black pants, black shirt, and black socks can all be washed together; no sorting. And I really like the way black clothes look. And if you can get your clothes on without getting deodorant on any of it, you don't have much like that to worry about the rest of the day. If you spill a bit off soda or accidentally sit on a bench where there's a coffee ring, a little water takes care of everything when you're wearing all black. Otherwise, unless the soda or coffee and the clothing are the same color, you either look bad for the rest of the day, change into spare clothes that you brought just in case something like that happened, or run to the nearest drug store to find out if the Tide pens work like in the commercials.

The black clothes made some people think that I was depressed or needing to make some sort of statement. The only statement I was making was that I liked what I was wearing. And while I don't think if myself as in with the rest of the girls who really like to shop, I must admit that I'm rarely depressed when I'm buying clothes. I didn't go to the mall and pick up something black and say "I'm so depressed, and this looks just like I feel."

I don't get it. Tons of people go to Victoria's secret and ask for something black, and no one thinks that they're depressed.

The black clothing has caused a few other comical moments:
"Dear, have you seen my black sweater?"
"What does it look like?"
"It's black."
"Is this it?"
"No, it has buttons on the front."
"Is this it?"
"No, the other one."
"In that case, no, I haven't seen it. Sorry Dear."

No comments: