Thursday, August 26, 2010

Thinking about traveling

I would like to find a Woodrow Wilson dime, buy a train ticket for something leaving from the third level, and end up in some alternate dimension where I spend some of my time here but live most of the summer in Pennsylvania. Not actually in Pittsburgh, but near there, so that I can visit Kennywood and Idlewild whenever I feel like going.

I don't know how this would have come about, with me spending summers in Pennsylvania. I can see other paths that I might have taken and ended up with a certain career or married to someone else, but I can't quite picture the path that leads to me being a snow bird. Other than a winning lottery ticket, I see no way of it happening now either.

Maybe there was a winning lottery ticket in the alternate dimension, I don't know.

Anyway, I do tend to spend a lot of time wishing I could get away somewhere. And because of my husband's job, there are often little opportunities to go someplace, just usually not anyplace that great, and even then I usually end up not going because of something going on here. And then of course in the summer I have to stay home and water the plants anyway.

And so I have wasted a lot of time here when I could have been someplace else, though not anyplace as far away as Pennsylvania. And I would not have done anything grand, not visited Kennywood or anything like that anyway. Mostly I would have stayed in a motel room watching cable and maybe knitting. So far the only things I have missed out on were swimming pools (and sometimes a hot tub), having lunch at a famous restaurant, visiting the Cadillac ranch, and a few odd small town museums. And I've had to miss those things, because I wanted to do something else here, or I wanted to watch while the termites were taken care of, or make sure that repairs were done, or I had some work to do.

I always have some work to do, it just doesn't always get done.

So my husband is going someplace for the third time in two months, and I haven't gone, because of this stuff and because I have to water the plants. Only now I've about given up on most of the plants, they either aren't doing what they are supposed to do, or they have been doing what they are supposed to do and are about to die now. The main things not done or dying are the pepper plants, and the luffa, and the sweet potatoes. All of those things are in containers. The sweet potatoes and the luffa are in very large containers, but the peppers could be moved, and I'm wondering if I moved the pepper plants to the fence if my neighbor might water them for me.

There's even the possibility that the other plants might be okay on their own next week, cause it is supposed to rain some of the time, though not as much as I would like.

So I could go out of town next week, though it is not to anyplace special, it would just be nice to get out of the house.

And then the week after that I would really like to go away. There's one place I've never been, to take a silly tour, and another place that I used to go to often but now I haven't been there in four or five years. Or at least, I can't remember being there for a while.

Unfortunately, the time we would get to go there would be a holiday weekend, and we try to avoid such places on holiday weekends. But right now we are thinking that we will go anyway, even with the crowds and the extra expenses. Cause that isn't very far away, but it is not in my husband's usual area, and they probably won't assign him to work there again soon. And it is very near a beach, and I haven't been to a beach in a long time.

So that is it. Nothing really interesting, just the possibility of going away for a bit. And I am thinking that I will go.

3 comments:

dmarks said...

I think of Pennsylvania as a state that is just too wide. Things start to repeat; there are actually town names found in the east, and west too.

But Pennsylvania is probably small compared to what you are used to.

Pittsburgh would not be too bad. Fallingwater's there, and that's really all I've seen of it.

laughing said...

I hate Pittsburgh itself, just as I hate Dallas.

In Pittsburgh there was a lot of "you can't get there from here." Everything you wanted seemed to be on the other side of a river, and not being from there, you didn't know where the bridges were. And the signs that were supposed to tell you where to go and what lane to be in on the freeway were placed in such a way that you couldn't read them except when you were nearly under them, and by then it was too late to get in the correct lane. So I hate Pittsburgh itself, except Kennywood, and I suppose if I lived in the area I would figure out where the bridges were and be able to get where I was going without the freeways downtown and such.

The surrounding area was very nice, and everything was green, and there were deer and birds everywhere. Unfortunately, the deer were suicidal and kept trying to cross the freeway.

When we were there, it seemed like it rained nearly every day, though mostly after dark, so that was good. Unfortunately, when it did rain during the day it would usually choose our day off, so I was not very happy during a lot of our two months there, being stuck in a motel room that I didn't really care for. But if we had picked a place a bit out of town, that might have been nice.

dmarks said...

Before you had mentioned it a while back, I had not heard of Kennywood before. When I first heard of it, I made the assumption that it was a country-music related theme park, but founded by kenny Rogers. Sort of like Dollywood and Twitty City. Well, I was very wrong.

The deer are everywhere.