Monday, January 14, 2008

Monday Morons--He was just trying to be nice, and isn't that what we're here for

As you probably already know, I am in a Star Trek fan club. We get together and talk about Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Stargate, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Red Dwarf, etc.... The club started out as part of Starfleet, but we like a lot of other stuff besides Star Trek. If you want to talk about the latest film version of I Am Legend, no one interrupts and says "hey, this is a Star Trek club and we're just here to talk about Star Trek."

Or, at least, that's the way it usually works.

A while back, one of our members tried to tell us about a British show. I'll call this guy Mr. Baker. Besides being a Trekkie, Mr. Baker is your average law-abiding and tax-paying citizen, a voter, has a steady job, knows a thing or two about computers, and makes really good desserts when there's an occasion for it. He's been in the club for several years. He's not an idiot. He doesn't need to be the center of attention all the time. He has the occasional party that has nothing to do with Star Trek. He's a pretty good guy.

So he's trying to tell us about this British show that he likes. I don't remember the name of the show. I think he described it as the British version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Maybe he was talking about it because it was about to come on cable. I don't have cable, so I didn't write down the name of the show.

So maybe I wasn't just terribly interested in what he was talking about. But it was odd that no one else seemed interested in what he had to say. And it wasn't like he was just saying stuff that everyone already knew and was tired of hearing about. He found this cool show, and he says that some of us might want to check it out.

Now the really bizarre thing happened when as part of the description he mentions that the show was on for a few seasons but has now been canceled. Someone else then said something like "then why would we want to watch it?"

Well, let me see. We're all in a Star Trek fan club. Star Trek was on for a few seasons and then canceled. More than forty years later, this hasn't stopped anyone from watching and enjoying the show. So why would anyone care say that we wouldn't want to watch a show just because it's been cancelled? And it's especially puzzling that someone would make such a comment at a Star Trek fan club meeting.

I want to say that a lot of people were being rude to Mr. Baker, but rude isn't quite the right word, and I'm not sure what is the right word. It was just so weird. "Why would we want to watch it?"

Mr. Baker says "cause it's a cool show."

I mean really, that's what the club is for, isn't it? So people can get together and talk about cool stuff. So Mr. Baker is telling everyone about this cool show that they've probably never heard of, and all anyone can say is why would we want to watch a show that's been cancelled?

It's not like he said the Rama book series was a really fun read, but can't really recommend it to anyone cause the ending sucked, so don't waste your time.

So that was odd.

Lately I've been home a lot and my husband has been home a lot, and there's been no new TV. So we've been out to watch a few movies, and we've downloaded some stuff and watched Dexter and such. And we watched a show called Odyssey 5. And I thought that I'd look for Mr. Baker's British show, but I didn't remember the name of it.

So we Googled--British version of Buffy the Vampire Slayer--and were eventually directed to a show called HEX.

So I don't know if the show Mr. Baker liked was HEX, but I've watched the first season and so far I like HEX. I haven't seen Mr. Baker in a while, but if he's at the next meeting I'll ask him about it. And then if it isn't HEX, I'll have another show to look forward to seeing, even if it has also been canceled.

????

2 comments:

dmarks said...

I can't remember how the Rama book series ended, but I do remember that Rama seemed to be taken over by gangsters at one point.

The main "odd" person I remember from my old Star Trek club was the lady who had a passionate hatred for Captain Kirk. I think she had a roommate who liked Captain Kirk, and as a result they fought a lot. She mentioned it a lot. Other than that, she was nice and liked "Star Trek". It was not like she hated the Enterprise and its entire crew.

I don't think much other than "Star Trek" was discussed (aside from "Star Wars" sometimes). This was in the thick of the "Star Trek" movies, "Next Generation" was just around the corner, J.K. Rowling was just a nobody, Galactica was a fading memory, and there was no such thing as Stargate.

laughing said...

Also on the subject of cool TV that is NOT Star Trek, let me remind everyone that the second part of the Terminator is on tonight on Fox at 8:00, following PrisonBreak at 7:00. Following the Terminator you should probably switch over to NBC to watch Medium. There are a few other shows with new episodes tonight, so you might have to make use of your VCR.