Sunday, October 05, 2008

Making a mess

Yesterday I went to throwing class. I wish I had some comfortable coveralls, but I don't, and I don't think buying them just for this six week class is a good idea, especially with the money situation being what it is. Nor did I attempt to find a suitable apron, and I have quit trying to be less messy by wearing things made from trash bags. I've just accepted that I am going to make a mess in throwing class, and that afterwards I need to go home and change, or at least bring extra clothes to change into at school.

So after class I was going to go to a friend's new house. As I usually don't feel so good after class, I thought that I would just drop off a few things and play with the dogs for a bit and then leave. Other people were supposed to stop by later that day and do craft stuff, and I figured that if I felt better I could always come back later. But I at least wanted to drop off a few things for them to work with if I didn't feel like it later. And also, I wanted to make my first trip to the house during the day, since I was sure that I wouldn't be able to find the place at night.

So I didn't have time to clean up much after class, and I certainly didn't have time to change clothes. But since I wasn't planning to stay or see anyone except for my friend who know I was coming straight from throwing class, I didn't think that it was that important. And then I got lost for a bit, and then I ended up being at the place a little later than I thought, and then when I was invited in there were already six other people there.

Since they had already seen how I looked, it seemed silly to leave for an hour or two, change clothes, and then try to find my way back. So I stayed for a bit, and then I stayed a bit longer, and then we had dinner. So no one got to the craft stuff til maybe seven or so. And by that time it had been a long day for me, and I still didn't want to drive around in a strange place after dark, so I ended up leaving at about seven thirty or eight without doing any craft stuff at all.

But I did get rid of a box of junk, which some other people were happily making into Halloween crap when I left.

I did get two lopsided bowls done in class, which were really bad and not even very tall. If it hadn't already been the third class I probably wouldn't have kept these either. I think that all I'm going to get out of this class is that I tried it and found it that it just wasn't my thing.

3 comments:

Marsha Loftis said...

I have often thought of taking a pottery class. One day, I might have the time. By the way, I had plans to marry Spock when I grew up. :)

dmarks said...

You'd better check into Vulcan polygamy customs. I saw on yet another blog a woman who wanted to marry Spock also.

Two lopsided bowls? Hey, at least they are bowls now. Some progress with throwing, I think.

laughing said...

My new rival has listed Life on Mars as one of her interests. I assume she means one of the TV shows, and not actual lifeforms found on the fourth planet.