Thursday, March 12, 2009

The garden will have to wait

Saturday I went out and found some peat moss and other gardening stuff at Walmart. It was almost eleven dollars for the 3.8 cube, which was a little bit more than I wanted to pay, but I was so happy to find some after not finding any earlier that I bought it. If I had waited and gone to Lowe's, it would have been a couple of dollars cheaper. Still, I managed to buy both that and fifty pounds of sand and get it into the car.

Getting it out of the car and into the back yard was a bit more difficult, but I managed. I ran some more errands and didn't do much else that day.

Monday I got a bit of work done, but I was too tired to get it all done by Tuesday. Tuesday it was already threatening to rain, so every time I took a break I tried to put plastic on anything that I didn't want to get wet.

Tuesday night and Wednesday it was just a downpour. A dark, cold, wet mess. I mostly stayed in bed and watched DVDs. I was still a bit sore, and there was nothing I could do outside anyway.

The house is still the usual mess, and I suppose I should do something about that, but I guess I'm just not that interested since I was this close to getting some major work done on the garden.

I cut one piece of asparagus. I should have a lot more soon, now that it has rained.

It is not raining at the moment, but it is still a cold wet mess outside, so I still can't do anything. Some of the stuff I put plastic on got wet anyway, so I can't even work there. There's just nothing to be done until it dries out a bit.

I guess that it's back to boring stuff like laundry and dishes for a while.

2 comments:

Ananda girl said...

Our weather is not cooperating either. It's sunny today, but so cold your bones ache as soon as you step outside. Otherwise it has been spitting snow flakes that won't stay and raining for days. I wish it would make up its mind.

You are still more ambitious than I! Moving the heavy things is something I have trouble forcing myself to do. So much easier to nag a boy to do it. I need to start developing muscles for when the last boy has gone to college.

laughing said...

The heavy lifting of gardening stuff is usually something that only happens once or twice a year, and I usually have help with it. At some point I won't need to do that anymore. At some point I'll have dug a garden bed or put some other plant in every place that I could possibly want one, and it will just be a matter of yearly turning over the annual beds and maybe adding a bit of compost or something that doesn't not come in a big heavy bag. So it will still be a bit of work at least once a year, but I won't be dragging stuff in and out of the car.