Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm not Catholic, so I don't do the whole Lent thing

Dmarks was wondering what people give up for Lent. I didn't know non-Catholics did that. I don't do that, at least, not on purpose.

I've given up some stuff lately, but not because of Lent. Most of it has to do with the economy and my own personal lack of funds.

I keep putting things off. Like I've put things off until I clean the back room or until business picks up or whatever. And I put things off until the next paycheck. Like I need a new pair of jeans, but I don't have the money now, so I'll have to wait til the next paycheck.

I think I decided I needed new jeans about six weeks ago, but I still don't have any. The next paycheck was just as bad as the last one.

The most annoying thing that I've given up recently is some of my hair. I used to very rarely cut my hair, like once or twice a year. But then I had bangs, which I cut myself once in a while in addition to getting those once or twice a year haircuts. And then I stopped cutting my own bangs and got a few more haircuts.

So I was thinking a couple of weeks ago that I was getting annoyed with my hair, and that I should go and get a trim, which I expected to have money for after the next paycheck. And then I added up all the other things that I had to do and didn't have much left, so no haircut. And then I was thinking that I used to cut my own bangs, and it was no big deal, so I should just do that again and the rest of it could wait.

I haven't cut my bangs myself in a long time, and I've somehow messed it up. So now I hate my hair, and I don't have any money to go and have someone fix it. And even if I did have the money to go and have someone fix it, I'd have to wait a while so that it could grow out a bit.

I've given up a lot of eating out. Not that I don't still go out, just not as much. It's down to about once a week now. I've gone out with my friends twice this month (once using a gift card so it didn't cost me anything), and twice I've gone to Denny's with my husband using those coupons we got during the free breakfast thing. So that's been about it. And I've tried to buy more sensible food, except for the $20 worth of chocolate from the Valentine's Day clearance sales.

I've given up on a lot of the blogging that I used to do, because a.) a lot of the blogs I used to read aren't be written as much anymore, and b.) I haven't felt inspired to write much either. In theory, I have a lot of work to do. I'm doing some of it, but in reality I've probably spent more time on the computer watching both the new and old versions of Survivors. (That's Survivors the sci fi show in which 99% of the people die of some disease and the rest all shoot at each other, not Survivor like you vote someone off of the island.)

I have almost given up on Survivor like you vote someone off of the island, but not quite. I keep saying that I'm not going to watch it anymore, because I think that the people running the show have gotten very irresponsible, but somehow I end up watching again.

I have given up talking to my mother for a while, since a few weeks ago or whenever the last time she upset me. And my throat hurts a bit, so while I am wanting to give up more sweets I am eating popsicles instead. But I've found some sugar free ones, so it's more annoying that I'm spending the money than it is about the sugar consumption.

The mice are back, which has cost me a few minor things and a bit of sleep.

At this point, I have to give up ceramics until further notice, not just a semester or so like I had hoped. So I have to go and get the rest of my things from school, but I keep putting it off.

I haven't been to either Bath & Body Works or any craft stores since before Christmas.

And while I would like to give up a few pounds, I've given up on the idea of the serious dieting for a while, because a lot of the stuff that seems to help with that costs money. Like Eggbeaters. Eggbeaters are usually on sale for about $3 or $2.50 for 8 servings, while regular eggs are on sale for about a dollar a dozen. So I'm going to just eat the regular eggs.

Anyway, it just seems like I've got to give up a lot of stuff, but none of it has anything to do with Lent.

1 comment:

Ananda girl said...

Oh don't give up writing!