Friday, June 08, 2007

A bit of confusion

I am eating ice cream now. There is ice cream in the freezer. There is no ice cream in the diet. So I have to eat all the ice cream now, before the diet. See?

Also, the divorce seems to still be on. Or at least that is what it says in this note from my lawyer. I thought that it was going to be a note confirming that the case was dropped, or maybe a bill. This was a bit of a surprise.

I had asked my lawyer if we could get more time, and he said that he could ask for another two months or so while we got counseling. My husband agreed, but then he never did anything about it. I didn't want to lie and tell the court we were in counseling, but I wasn't ready to ask for a trial date either. So I never called the lawyer to tell him to do anything about getting us more time, and the case was supposed to be dropped.

And I really don't care for this lawyer anymore. Since he rarely gives me a straight answer, I thought I might be better off without his help. My husband didn't get a lawyer. We don't have money for lawyers. This one is only working for me because my mom paid his retainer, or whatever you call it. I thought that would have run out by now anyway.

So, now I really don't know what's going to happen.

Too bad I don't live in DC. I hear you get good legal advice if you can't afford a real lawyer in DC. And then you also get advice on pizza and hotdogs from the not real lawyer.



2 comments:

David in DC said...

Yeah but the not real lawyer's clients were rarely married in the first place. So I don't have a helluva lot of experience with actual divorce.

They had kids, yes. Custody and child support in DC, that I know like the back of my hand.

And drug problems. And domestic violence issues.

(My favorite DV victim was the client who was seeking a stay-away order against her beau, who'd tried to strangle her with a telephone cord. On the way into the courthouse she noticed the metal detector we'd have to go thru. Out we walked again, so she could hide her knife and pinking shears in the bushes.

Won her temp custody, temp child support and a stay-away order. And no one stole her knife or pinking shears from the bushes.)

Usually, mom and dad were so fucked up that maternal grandma was the best candidate for custody, despite the shitty job she'd done raising mom.

It's why I preferred housing cases or food stamp denials or Social Security or SSI appeals. Way less hard on my own psyche.

And there was a lotta satisfaction in screwing a slumlord or getting a government bureaucrat's smug little grin wiped off his/her case when the administrative law judge overruled him/her and awarded my client 10+ months of back benefits plus current benefits for the forseeable future.

You're right on the hot dogs, pizza and falafel advice, though. They're yours for the asking And touristy-type tips, too.

12:51 a.m. here. Think I might be jittery about my performances tomorrow and Sunday? Maybe just a little.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

we use to have divorces and and such covered by the "Legal Aid" system here.. but far too many people were getting divorced.. So they don't cover divorces any longer.. You can get a legal aid lawyer by other means I think.. But only pay a small retainer..