Tuesday, April 07, 2009

A change in plans

I was supposed to have the rest of the week to myself.

My husband was going to Texarkana for a couple of days, and we had talked about me going with him. Maybe when he got done with work we could have gone to a quartz mine in Hot Springs. After looking at what was added to the rest of the week's schedule, we decided against it. He should spend his one day off resting, not digging up rocks.

So I decided to stay home, and I went and planted the tomato plants Friday. Then we found out about the freeze warning, and I had to cover up the plants and such, which I wouldn't have been able to do if I were gone for the week. Of course, if I had made definite plans to be gone for the week, I just would have waited and dealt with planting tomatoes and such after the trip.

Anyway, now the second day in Texarkana has been canceled. Nice. So maybe if we had known that we would have made different plans.

And now he's coming home for a couple of days, so we had to cancel motel reservations and try to get refunds etc.... According to the company that we used to make the reservations, after check-in, unused motel stays are non-refundable. Nice. But they will make a request that the motel refund the money for the nights that he did not actually stay there, and if the motel agrees, which it sounded like they would, he should get the credit back in his account in a couple of weeks. We will see.

So he is coming home in a couple of hours, and instead of planning what I should do with my day I'm just sitting around waiting for him to get home so I can find out what his plans are. And he's probably really tired, so it will probably be lunch and then watching tapes of House and Heroes and Medium from last night (most of which I haven't watched yet either), and then he will take over the computer for the rest of the day.

Still, I don't think I will start anything, just in case he has other plans.

Gardening doesn't interest him anymore. I think he did something for one afternoon last year, and that's about it since we moved here. Ten years ago, we had a huge garden, which he did most of the work for, and we even talked about getting chickens and such. Now he doesn't even go out to look at the pepper plants.

Anyway, I'm going to go and check my email and such now, cause I probably won't get much chance to for the rest of the day.

4 comments:

Ananda girl said...

I used to have trouble getting time on the computer at home. Days would pass and I'd be begging to get a wack at it. Then Squeaky built me one from scratch. A very cool thing. No one uses it but me and I am in heaven on that issue.

I should add that Squeaky did it for mostly selfish reasons... he didn't want mom bugging him to get off the expensive one I bought. We have three computers now, one for each person who lives here. Everybody computer happy.

It can really put a cloud in your day when you have to wait and see how it will go.

I'd like to have chickens. We used to. They are wonderful for the garden. *)>

dmarks said...

This morning I saw chickens on Freecycle ("4 chickens - one rooster, 3 laying hens. We'd prefer that they not be eaten. Used to free range"). We discussed getting them. Not seriously, just a "what-if". But we do love eggs. But I guess once you compare the costs, getting good values on eggs at the supermarket is a better deal than having your own chickens.

DD said...

The parents-in-law have chickens. They live in something called an eglu, which is like a house and run that gets moved round. They are allowed out to range, but they have to be shut up away from foxes at night. Lord knows what Buster would make of them.

Enjoy your weekend, hope you have a relaxing time.

DD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.