Thursday, August 07, 2008

Friday

As some of you may know, I used to have a regular feature called Freaky Friday. I would go over the Google searches for the week and discuss who might be reading my blog and why. I decided to stop doing that for a while during the spring semester. I just got too busy with school. I had meant to go back to it, but I just haven't felt motivated enough to do a proper Freaky Friday post.

Which is not to say that I still don't like having a look at the tracker thing. Last night, I had two visits from the reader in Australia, and he didn't leave a comment, even after I said hello and everything. But I guess not everyone wants to be sociable.

I've gotten a bit of traffic from a post about jury duty. It was a bit of a rant, but I guess it was a bit of a rant about an important issue. Maybe it's a bit funny. Unfortunately, I think that these people come looking for answers, not for a bit of a laugh or to commiserate over our common problem, and I don't have any answers for them. I do not know the secret password that makes civil servants stop quoting the rule book at you and find a way to deal with your problem. I do not know how to get you out of jury duty, even if you have the same legitimate reason for wanting out of it as I do.

A while back I followed a link back to a site all about people's different jury experiences. It was really cool to see that. Someone thought enough of what I wrote to copy part of it onto their own site. Then I followed another link (which I can't seem to find now) back to what looked like someone's college paper, and there was a link to my blog in the footnotes. So that was nice, but a little bit weird too. I don't know if you're supposed to use blogs like mine as source material for a college paper, if that's what it was.

I also get a bit of traffic to my post about poor people not knowing how to spend money. I also wonder if a few of those people are writing papers. Again, thanks for the compliment, but I'm not sure that my blog counts as a scholarly source.

And then there are people reading this and wanting to know if they have chlamydia. I don't know, but I hope not. What is really troubling is that a few have the odd worded question, like can I get chlamydia after I've had a hysterectomy? Does this person not realize that she still has to use condoms and even then is still at risk of getting STDs from having sex after a hysterectomy? Or is she wondering if she somehow got infected while in the hospital having the hysterectomy? And I'm not sure why she would be worried about that particular STD anyway after having a hysterectomy, since the big problem with that one is that it might someday prevent a woman from having children. If you've had a hysterectomy, protect yourself from AIDS and worry about catching herpes and HPV.


And just before I posted this, I found that someone from Virginia found this while looking for -- that moss grows there star trek. Sorry, still don't remember who said it. But we do all know that somebody said that.

No comments: