Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The clay fairy came

In ceramics class we are making these tiles, and I couldn't make up my mind which design I wanted to use. I finally decided on the sea turtle, but I asked if I could do another one if there was leftover clay. So the instructor let me have a second piece. And today two more pieces were left on my shelf. So I'll also end up with a a sea turtle, a Stargate symbol, and a Celtic knot. The fourth tile might be another Celtic knot, but I haven't decided yet.

Also, we had to dig this big hole in the backyard. We should have done this as soon as we moved into the house, but we didn't understand that the house was going to flood otherwise. I tried to do it myself, but I just wasn't up to it. We had a bad flood about a year ago, and the hole still wasn't finished. My husband just finished the hole Sunday. Thank you, husband.

Anyway, what came out of the hole turned out to be terra cotta. Some really sandy gritty terra cotta, but still, it's free clay. I'm sure I can do something with it.

You would never guess that this stuff is terra cotta just by looking at it. The clay is dark grey, but after it is fired it turns orange-red.

I've been trying to decide whether or not to skip school next week, and I totally forgot that the week after next is spring break. And, there is stuff at school that absolutely must be done before spring break. So I will try to control myself for one more week and not stay home from school until the week that we are off anyway. But, just to be on the safe side, I think I should go in tomorrow and do some extra work.

No comments: