Thursday, March 22, 2007

The quest for yarn, cell phones, and some peace of mind

I am just sort of ticked off about everything today. Yesterday I went to the evening ceramics class. On the way there I went looking for yarn. I went to four different stores. I cannot find the particular ugly green yarn that I used on the currently 26 foot long Dr. Who scarf. I usually use Red Heart, medium thyme color. But I didn't have any when I started this scarf, and they didn't have any at the Walmarts I went to that day. But they did have a display of a different brand yarn, camouflage colors, and I bought three skeins of this solid green color. I can't find a wrapper, so I don't know what the official name of the color is, but it's this army green color.

Since they had it at Walmart, I didn't think it would be hard to find. I have since been to four other Walmarts, and they don't have any. I have now also been to JoAnns's, Michaels, and Hobby Lobby. They all carry that brand yarn, and they even have the camouflage line, but they don't have that solid green color. I have now run out of places to look for the yarn.

I guess that I'm going to have to switch back to the medium thyme color. Not that I wasn't going to switch back eventually. This brand of yarn is a bit more expensive than the Red Heart. But I at least wanted all the yarn in the same scarf to match.

Tuesday night, I meant to write this funny post about going to the clinic. But somehow writing it just made me unhappy about the whole thing again. I'm unhappy with them for some other reasons too, which I won't go into that much. But there are all these tests that they require you to take, and I don't really see the point of all of them. Still, you try to be a grown-up about it and do what they say. But if you ask for an extra test, they tell you that they don't do that until you have a "problem." And I don't get that. I can see that they should insist certain people have an extra test or two, if there is a "problem," but I don't understand why they would refuse to give someone a test if they asked for it. Tell them that it probably isn't necessary, sure, but refuse to give them a test? What's up with that?

So I have to wait like two weeks for the regular test results, and then if there's a "problem", I'll have to have more tests and wait another two weeks for those. Why couldn't they just get them all over with at once so I don't have to wait a whole month? While I'm already at the clinic, go ahead and take more samples. If I'm already concerned about something, it just doesn't make any sense why I should have to wait for there to be a "problem" or why I should have to go back a second or third time and get poked, prodded, and/or stuck with a needle again when we could just get it all over with the first time.

Should I have lied and tried to make up a problem? At one point the doctor was asking me something like "Has this always been there?" Well, I don't know about always, but it has certainly been there a long time. And you'd think that it would be in my file somewhere. You'd think that someone would have made a note of it during my first exam, and that there would be year after year of notes about it, so that the next year they could just look at the file and see that yes it was there the last year and the year before that and so on. Maybe I should have said, "No, I've never seen that before. I just noticed it about a week ago. I think it's cancer. I'm going to die." Then maybe they would have done some of the extra tests I asked for in a effort to calm me down.

So I am ticked off about that too. There's no army green yarn, and I have to have blood drawn again in a week or two, I possibly have to have more tests a week after that, and I have to have a mammogram within the next three months. Not happy now at all.

I have all of this stuff to do, mostly housework, and I don't want to do it. I have these rare moments that I really want to just get on with it and get it done no matter how unpleasant it might seem. I have actually had three of these rare moments in the last few weeks, but right when I get started something comes up, everything gets postponed, and when I come back and look at it again I get really depressed about it. I give up on the idea and find something else to do.

Here's a silly thing I have to do, that for some reason I am now dreading more than that other stuff. I have to deal with this cell phone. I have to call someone and complain about this message on my cell phone. The first guy had such an accent that I had trouble understanding, and they ended up just sending me a new phone. The new phone came right before I went away for the week, so I had to call again and get the new phone registered. I could understand this man better, but he reminded me of the French guy Michelle on the Gilmore Girls. Anyway, you after you do that, you have to wait a day or two, and then you have to make a test call from your zip code. Only I went out of town and didn't take the phone with me since I couldn't make a test call from out of town anyway. So now I have this unregistered sim message on the phone, and I just don't want to deal with these people anymore.

I don't talk on cell phones much. It is supposed to be for emergencies. I use the thing once or twice a week for like two minutes. I have spent more time talking to the cell phone company people than I have actually spent talking on the cell phone.

No yarn, no cell phone, the house is a mess, stuff needs to be done in the garden, and I'm going to sit around for a couple of weeks wondering if there is a "problem."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Damn.... If there's one good thing, at least you don't have to put up with computer tech support too with all that. That's hell too.