Friday, November 28, 2008

The reason it is called Black Friday...

...is because they didn't turn on the damned street lights. So when we are up at 6am trying to get to the sales (or 5am or 4am in some cases, and I even heard on the news of midnight sales), we can barely see where we are going. The little reflective things on the road and on the freeway exit signs kept me from totally losing my way, but I would still prefer that the lights be on until it is reasonably light.

The only thing that I can think of is that the lights were on timers, and that a month or two ago before the time change there must have been a lot of sunlight by 6am, and they didn't need to turn on the lights, and maybe someone just forgot to change the timer. But now it stays very dark until much later. And Friday in particular it stayed dark even later as there were clouds and it has rained on and off all morning.

I don't do a lot of Christmas shopping on Black Friday, usually I have most of it done by now. But there's still other shopping that I do on Black Friday, just because that is when things are on sale. You run out of things or need new things, and if it is something that I really need it probably isn't something that someone would think to get me for Christmas. So on Black Friday I am often out buying the odd thing for us like a new crock pot, sheets, towels, jeans, socks, underwear, etc.... Today I also bought six movies, but half of them were for me. And today I just happened to also be out of computer paper and orange juice, so as long as I was going to Walmart I thought I might as well pick up those too.

So I still have Christmas shopping to do, but I can't really do much of it right now. I have a bit of money, but not a lot, so I'm trying to be careful with what is left of it. I have most of a scarf done for a friend, and I have another art project going to another friend. I haven't really done much about K's present, except that I've decided that she probably don't need tons of Bath & Body Works stuff like last year. And I still don't have a clue what I should get for S.

And then I can't do the rest of the Christmas shopping until I figure out who I'm going to be shopping for. I think that my family is going to draw names, but we haven't done that yet. And my husband really isn't into the whole thing, so when we draw names I'll probably end up doing the shopping for whomever he is supposed to get a gift for.

So that's probably four people that I still have to get things for. That's not too bad, but I would have rather have gotten all of the shopping done by now.

And I would rather not be driving around in the dark without streetlights.

1 comment:

dmarks said...

Trying to remember.... I think it was Black Friday for me last year because all of the streets were covered in black ice. It was so cold and slick.