Thursday, September 06, 2007

Am I just getting old or what?

My eyes are a bit of a bother lately. I've become light sensitive. I blink a lot. I've used more eye drops in the past two months than I've used in the past ten years. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night with terrible pain in my left eye.

I've taken to trying some odd things to deal with it. Last night I sort of taped my left eye shut. I did not wake in the middle of the night with terrible pain, but I guess it wasn't a total success, since I was already blinking a lot when I started to write this. Sometimes just reading the computer screen is a bother.

I still can't quite convince myself that there is really anything wrong to see a doctor about. If I go see a movie after lunch, I'll feel better. Seeing a movie usually fixes the problem for the rest of the day. I can hardly take it seriously if going to see a movie helps. But, I can't go see a movie until after lunch, so most of the day before that is wasted, and then there's the drive time and the time I actually spend in the theater, so I can't seem to do anything useful until about three in the afternoon. Plus I don't really want to buy a movie ticket everyday or waste all of that gas money.

I am pretty sure I'm having an allergic reaction to something in the house. My eyes do not seem to bother me as much when we are out of town. Is it this stuff that I've been working with to fix the floor? Is it the anti-bacterial soap from Bath & Body Works? Is it dust in the bedroom from when I took out the carpet and moved furniture?

It's probably not that I've become allergic to my husband, since he goes out of town with me. And it's unlikely to be anything like my clothing or my makeup, since that's about the same everywhere. It just seems like I should be able to make a list of things that are here that are not out of town and figure out what is different from before I had this problem, but I can't seem to figure it out.

I had just assumed that I was tired from working on the floor. The floor is here, and the floor does not go with me out of town. But I guess that wasn't it, because I haven't worked on the floor for about a week and a half.

I guess it could just all be in my head. It could be that I feel better when I'm out of town because I'm not expected to do any work there. I could be that even though I prefer to sleep in my own bed, I am getting more rest when I'm not here.

Or it could just be one of those things that was going to happen when I got older, regardless of what work I might or might not be doing, regardless or what might or might not be in the house.

All of that sort of thing sucks anyway. I've decided to quit taking the blood pressure meds. I couldn't tell that they really did anything, and I mainly seem to have high blood pressure at the doctor's office. I would think that if I really had some sort of problem that needed meds that I would still notice the problem when I'm at the drugstore or at Walmart.

1 comment:

DD said...

High blood pressure can cause eye problems, including photosensitivity.

I'm not a doctor or anything, just someone with retinopathy, & if I were you I'd get it checked to be on the safe side.