Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Why did I take this job anyway?

I'm sitting here trying to decide if I should quit this silly temp job. I like the silly temp job okay, and I like most of the managers, but the pay just isn't worth disrupting my plans like this. If I'm only going to work five or six hours, let them start at nine or ten in the morning so I can get them over with and do something else. Sometimes the job starts at ten, sometimes eleven, but more often twelve and now sometimes one or two. That just seems to waste my whole day, but without working all day, and I'm only getting paid for five hours or so. And of course, the one day that I can't come in until one, they forget and schedule me to start at eleven.

So I'm probably going out of town next week, but I won't know for sure until Saturday. I can't wait till Saturday to say I want off next week. So I thought to be on the safe side I would tell the manager today not to put me on the schedule after Sunday. And that usually works because she usually doesn't do the schedule until Wednesday afternoon.

Only this week she decided to write the schedule last night. And I've been scheduled to work the Tuesday that I'll be heading out of town.

So there's all these other people who want the extra hours, but they have to wait til after school or after their other job or whatever. So none of them will work. Only one person left to ask, and I just missed her, so she probably won't work out either.

So, if I'm going to Kansas I should go ahead and tell the manager that I'm going to quit, and she can find a new person before Tuesday. Maybe she can find a new person by Sunday, since I'll be in two hours late that day because of church. (She already knew that, so I don't know why that is there.)

Anyway, there is little point to having this job as far as the money goes. So why did I take this job? I wasn't even planning to apply this year. I gave it some serious thought a couple of months ago and decided that there just wasn't enough money in it, and if I wanted a job I should go out and get one that paid more or had a better schedule at least.

But, even after I didn't apply for the job, the manager called and asked if I could work, and I said I was going out of town for a week, but if the job was still open after that, sure. And she said that would be fine, and that was that.

I guess it just does something for one's ego to be asked to come back the next year.

And I needed a distraction. I needed a reason to get out of the house sometime, even if the hours weren't great. And I'd already worked for these people before, so I knew it wasn't going to be a big hassle about getting out early that last Saturday for the party. That's why I haven't taken a seasonal job like this for almost fifteen years, since they want everyone to work that Saturday.

Well, when it is time for Halloween, the people that are cool to have work at the Halloween store are off doing Halloween stuff. That's just the way it works. You have to have enough people who don't care about Halloween work at the store to cover for the people who do, because they aren't going to work then.

It's too bad, because I'd just about decided to quit looking for a regular job and just get a couple of seasonal things every year.

I should quit worrying about it and go work on my costume.

No comments: